When it comes to kitchen remodeling, one of the most important aspects is choosing the right cabinets. Custom cabinets can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of your kitchen and add significant value to your home. If you’re thinking about having custom cabinets installed in your kitchen, there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind. This comprehensive guide will cover everything you need to know about custom cabinets, from their available types to the features they offer.
What is Custom Cabinet?
A custom cabinet is a cabinet that is specifically designed and built for a specific kitchen. Custom cabinets are usually made from higher-quality materials than mass-produced cabinets, and they can be customized to fit your specific needs.
Features of Custom Cabinets
There are a few features that set custom cabinets apart from mass-produced cabinets.
First, custom cabinets are made to order, which means they can be designed to fit your specific kitchen layout. For example, custom cabinets are a good option if you have an oddly shaped kitchen or want your cabinets to have a particular look or style.
Second, custom cabinets are usually made from higher-quality materials, such as hardwood or plywood, which makes them more durable and long-lasting.
Third, custom cabinets can be customized to your specific needs and preferences. For example, you can choose the type of wood, the finish, the hardware, and the door style.
Types of Cabinets
From the structural point of view, there are three types of cabinets: base cabinets, wall cabinets, and tall cabinets.
Base Cabinets: These cabinets sit on the floor and provide storage space at the bottom of your kitchen. Base cabinets can be made with or without drawers and typically have one door.
Wall Cabinets: These are the cabinets that are mounted on the wall and provide storage space at eye level. Wall cabinets can be made with or without doors and typically have shelves.
Tall Cabinets: These are the cabinets that are taller than base cabinets and wall cabinets. Tall cabinets can be used for storing things like pots and pans, or they can be used as a pantry.
Different kitchen cabinets are available depending on your needs and preferences. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular styles:
Shaker cabinets: Shaker cabinets are a popular style of cabinet that features a simple, clean look. Shaker cabinets are made with recessed panels and have minimal ornamentation.
Louvered Cabinets: Louvered cabinets are a type of cabinet that features louvers, or narrow slats, on the doors. These cabinets are typically used in laundry rooms or bathrooms because they allow air to circulate.
Flat-Panel or Slab Cabinets: Flat-panel or slab cabinets are a type of cabinet that has a flat, flush door with no ornamentation. These cabinets are typically used in modern or contemporary kitchens.
Inset Cabinets: Inset cabinets are cabinets that sit flush with the door frame. These cabinets are more expensive than other types but offer a clean, seamless look.
Distressed Cabinets: Distressed cabinets are a type of cabinet that features a distressed finish. These cabinets can look like they’re old or worn, or they can be made to look new.
Beadboard Cabinets: Beadboard cabinets are a type of cabinet that features a beadboard panel on the door. These cabinets are typically used in the country or cottage-style kitchens.
Thermofoil Cabinets: Thermofoil cabinets are a type of cabinet with a thermofoil finish. This type of finish is applied to the cabinet door and gives it a smooth, shiny look.
Custom Cabinets: Custom cabinets are specifically designed and built for a specific kitchen. Custom cabinets are usually made from higher-quality materials than mass-produced cabinets, and they can be customized to fit your specific needs.
What to Consider Before Choosing Custom Cabinets
Cabinets are a long-term investment as they play a vital role in both the function and aesthetics of your kitchen, so choosing the right type of cabinets that fit your specific needs and preferences is essential. Here are a few things to consider before choosing custom cabinets:
- Budget:Custom cabinets can be expensive, so you must set a budget before shopping. When setting a budget, remember that custom cabinets are a long-term investment, so you’ll want to choose cabinets made from high-quality materials.
- Kitchen layout:Custom cabinets are available in various shapes and sizes, so it’s essential to consider your kitchen layout before choosing one. If you have a small kitchen, you’ll want to choose compact cabinets that maximize storage space.
- Style:Custom cabinets come in various styles, so choosing a style that fits your personal preferences is crucial. Shaker-style cabinets are a popular option for many kitchens because they offer a clean, simple look. If you prefer a more traditional look, bead inset or raised panel cabinets may be a good option for you.
- Materials:Custom cabinets are usually made from high-quality materials, such as hardwood or plywood. When choosing materials, keep in mind that the type of material will affect the cabinets’ price, durability, and appearance.
- Finish:The finish of your cabinets will also affect the overall look of your kitchen. If you want a natural look, you may want to choose cabinets that are unfinished or stained. On the other hand, you may choose painted cabinets or a high-gloss finish if you prefer a more polished look.
- Hardware:Custom cabinets come with various hardware options, so choosing hardware that fits your personal preferences is important. Cabinet hardware can be made from metal, wood, glass, or plastic, and it comes in various styles, such as knobs, pulls, or handles.
- Storage:Custom cabinets come with various storage options, so choosing storage that fits your needs is essential. If you have a lot of dishes, you’ll want to choose cabinets with plenty of shelf space. If you have a lot of small kitchen appliances, you’ll want to choose cabinets with deep drawers or roll-out shelves.
- Installation:Custom cabinets usually need to be installed by a professional, so it’s important to factor in the installation cost when setting a budget. If you’re handy, you may be able to install the cabinets yourself, but it’s always best to hire a professional if you’re not sure how to install them correctly.
- Maintenance:Custom cabinets require maintenance, such as cleaning and polishing, to keep them looking their best. When choosing cabinets, remember that some materials, such as wood, require more maintenance than others.
- Warranties:Custom cabinets usually come with a warranty, so it’s important to read the fine print before you make a purchase. Most warranties will cover damages during shipping or installation, but they may not cover normal wear and tear.
Custom cabinets can be a great addition to your kitchen, but it’s important to consider your needs and preferences before you make a purchase. Also, remember that custom cabinets are a long-term investment, so you’ll want to choose cabinets made from high-quality materials and with a warranty.
Contact a local cabinet maker or kitchen remodeling company for more information if you’re considering custom cabinets for your kitchen.
Level Pro Home Services, Inc.
920 Murphy Road, Suite C,
Stafford, TX 77477
Tel: (281) 397-2299